Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Saddle Ranch, Costa Mesa


So sad; so lonely.  No coaster, no twist.  
That is how my drink was presented to me one recent evening at the newly opened Saddle Ranch in Costa Mesa. 
I was not overly impressed with anything about this place except the company I was with.  The waitresses were dressed like hootchie mamas which, in general I could care less about, but when it’s combined with, I won’t even say bad service, because the service was non-existent; it’s just a little too much to ignore. 
I ordered my drink from the bar.  The house bourbon is McCormack.  McCormack Distilling Company of Weston, MO has the distinction of operating continuously at the same location longer than any other distillery in the United States (since 1856).  During prohibition, they produced whisky for medicinal purposes.
Bartenders in bandanas man the bar.  Oh, oh.  What is he pouring into the cocktail shaker from the soda dispenser?  Whiskey sour mix…from the soda dispenser?  Really?  So he tosses that and asks me how I want my manhattan.  I don’t know; how about how any bar guide instructs?  Just bourbon and vermouth, straight up with a twist. And a glass of water, please.  So there you go, you see what I get.  It’s a little sweet and a little watered down by this point but it’s $6.75.  I have to ask for water two more times.  The young man is young enough to be my son but he calls me sweetheart nonetheless.  Make my way to my table where my friends are trying to flag down wait staff left and right. 
In its favor, Saddle Ranch has a nice outdoor patio with the bar right there but doesn’t have much else to recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment